Thursday, November 22

Thieves exploit benefits claimant data loss

With the police still pulling apart the HMRC offices in Washington, it hasn't taken long for daylight robbers to cash in on the loss of millions of benefit claimant records.

Experian, one of the UK's two credit-reference agencies, have just sent me a marketing message asking me to sign up for their online CreditExpert service. In the email, they reference the loss of millions of child benefit records as a good reason to do so. The CreditExpert service allows you to access your credit reference for a 'small' £70 annual fee.

I've got to say, I find the timing and pitch of this email to be a little cynical and quite distasteful.

I'm not against encouraging people to check their credit record on a regular basis. Indeed, this is advisable (I do it). But it is possible to get paper records for just £2 a time, instead of paying £5.99 a month for the priviledge of accessing data held about you.


No response to “Thieves exploit benefits claimant data loss”